I just turned in something I've been working on that has taken up most of my time and my brain so this morning, when I sat down at my laptop to finally finally blog, I experienced my old friend writer's block, also know as 'I Have Nothing At All To Say, Bitch' and, my favorite, 'Pure Ughiness.' I sat there drooling at the screen for a bit then my mind wandered and I started thinking about good awesome things that I enjoy and I thought I would share that shit with you guys because why the hell not, right? IT'S USEFUL AND STUFF.
OK, here we go:
Raindrops on roses.
Haha, just kidding. Comedy! Here we go for real this time swear to Hogan McSmalls:
- Call Your Girlfriend Podcast: A friend suggested this to me and now I'm obsessed. As in, I walked for an extra half an hour yesterday just to finish an episode. The podcast is two long-distance friends basically "catching up." The thing is that they're incredibly smart and entertaining and they discuss important things such as Kanye, Ghostbusters, the Hilary email thing (ugh) and a whole bunch of other topics that are just necessary, you guys. Swoon.
- The Stand by Stephen King: I just reread this and pretty much checked out of life until I was done. I actually read the Uncut version and loved it. Just reminded me how much of a badass he is and always has been. I mean, this book came out in 1990 and it still rocks. It also made me think about how completely not useful my skills would be in the event of the end of the world. What am I gonna do, teach yoga? Write lists on leaves? Made me think I should take a cooking class or a CPR class or a something class.
- Stitchfix: As I write this, I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of this month's Stitchfix box. You can sign up to receive these as often as you want or you can just do it once. You fill out an extensive style survey with your likes, dislikes and sizes and a stylist sends you 5 items. Then you decide what to keep and send the rest back in this nifty little envelope they provide. (If you keep all 5, you get a discount.) It's genius. Half my closet is now from Stitchfixes since we had to get rid of all our clothes about 5 months back because of the whole toxic black mold issue. I feel like without Stitchfix, I'd have 2 Madewell shirts and one pair of skinny jeans. Anyway, check it. When that box arrives, it's like Christmas. I'm addicted.
- Empire: Holy hell, how much do I love Empire? Nope, sorry, can't quantify it. But, I will tell you that Cookie Lyon (Taraji P. Henson) is my hero and that this show is straight up delightful. I laugh so hard every episode. It's basically exactly what you'd expect: a bunch of hot people fighting and screwing and backstabbing. It's perfect. Anyway, the season just ended so catch up real quick before it comes back.
- This Bar Saves Lives: I bought one of these at a coffee shop and now I'm hopelessly devoted. They're delicious and gluten-free and fit in your purse so you can pull it out if you get noshy. I tend to go all hypobitchy (hypoglycemia, y'all) if I haven't eaten so this bar actually probably saves the lives of those in my proximity on the reg. But, really, the deal is that they give a packet of food to a child in need for every bar you buy. Like Toms for your mouth. Yay!
- I Love You, Honeybear by Father John Misty: I can't stop listening to this album. It's not just that "Bored in the U.S.A." feels like an anti-anthem or that there's a song called "Nothing Good Ever Happens at the Goddamn Thirsty Crow" or that he's adorable, it's that all-together, the album just feels perfect for right this very minute. I've been devouring it in a frantic way that reminds me of when Jenny Lewis's Voyager came out. Actually, I still listen to that too much but still. I Love You, Honeybear = goodness.
- Bareminerals Complexion Rescue: Yes, I'm going all beauty blog on you but this stuff is just so amazing, I had to. I have to be really careful about what I put on my face because everything makes me break out, especially BB creams. Plus, I need something with a broad spectrum SPF of 30 or more. This stuff works perfectly AND it's tinted so I don't have to wear, like, makeup makeup. I can put this on and some mascara and I'm out the door in less than 3 minutes. I'm in love.
- Miranda July's Instagram: Self-explanatory, yo.
Those are my things I like right now. Now, go watch Empire.
*photo of Hogie because I like him.