It has come to my attention that people are doing this on Facebook and that I should be outraged. I am not outraged, I am happy. This is not the most original idea in the world, guys. I'm sure someone did it in 2009 before I did. Besides, I think it's cool to read other people's lists so there.
2013 started out great for me. I got drunk, wore a tiny hat, made kissy-lips to a pink toy dinosaur and ended up in a hot tub in Palm Springs with my nearest and dearest when the clock struck midnight. This year was mainly good, partly stressful. I made some new friends and I failed a few times. We had some scary things happen health-wise in our family. But, as the year is coming to a close, I'm grateful that everyone is doing well. It's true what they say, trying times really bring people together. So, I learned to take advantage of every moment you have with people. I also learned these 13 things:
1) It's okay to talk openly about your health issues. True, people will make fun of you all day on Twitter for being gluten-free, but in reality, it's good to put it out there. If my writing about my struggle with Interstitial Cystitis helped anyone at all, it was worth it.
2) My flakiness is apparently hilarious.
3) I still want to be a writer, no matter what happens. I had some career near-misses and disappointments this year but they didn't drag me down too much. I'm still determined. So, I know I'm on the right path and that's something.
4) You shouldn't make assumptions. Just because someone's dressed in a frog suit running down the middle of Wilshire Boulevard doesn't mean he's real-life Frogger.
5) You should say "Yes" to new things even if they're terrifying. I was a guest on a podcast for the very first time this year. It was way more fun than I imagined it would be. (I imagined it would be torture, like a sale at Old Navy or having to talk to a toddler on the phone.) But, I had a great time.
6) I'm super old but it's totally fine that I still rock my combat boots.
7) I'm incredibly bossy. I love telling people what to do! Especially when it comes to books or dogs.
8) There are at least 33 things that make me happy including but not limited to pandas and pleather.
9) If you tweet something about England being cooler than America because of their nation-wide stance on equal marriage rights, people get really weird and mad and also think you're English. I also learned I don't give a backflipping shit. (A backflipping shit is cuter than a flying shit, right?)
10) You can totally be married for a decade (to the same person even!) and it will be amazing and you'll still love them just as much ten years later. It happens.
11) It's really fun and awesome to meet online friends in real life. I mean, mainly. I mean, especially if they're Kim Holcomb! If you're reading this and on Twitter, follow @KimHolcomb stat!
12) J. J. Abrams should hire me pronto. I have sooooo many ideas for the new Star Wars film and they're all 100% flawlessly perfect in every way.
13) My dog is the best dog. Yes he is. Case in point: Hogan McSmalls plays hide-and-seek.
Hope you also learned amazing things in 2013 and I hope you have the very bestest 2014 possible! Cheers!
*photo by I think Monte but maybe Edi. Or Roberto. Or maybe the toy dinosaur was doing a selfie and I photobombed.